Events in July 2018
Every month we hold cultural and social events for our students and their friends to discover more about Japanese culture, meet new friends and practice Japanese. We are looking forward to seeing you there!
7/12 Thu: Lunch Tour in Kagurazaka Hanakagura
Every month, we organize a lunch tour at one of the many delicious restaurants in Kagurazaka area. This month, we’ll enjoy some delicious food at Hanakagura! If you want to join us make your reservation now!
- Date: Thursday, July 12, 2018
- 12:30 – 13:50
- Meeting at Coto Academy 1F
- Restaurant Hanakagura , 10min walk from Soto
- Up to 16 people
- Staff: Mutsuki S.
7/18 Wed: Cooking Class (Shikai-Maki)
There are many ways of preparing Japanese sushi and every month we organize a cooking class for you to learn more about it! This month we introduce the way to make 四海巻き (Shikai-Maki). Have fun learning how to cook with us and take up the challenge to create beautiful norimaki for the eye and delicious for your palate!
- Date: Wednesday, July 18, 2018
- 12:40 ~ 13:50
- Venue: Coto Japanese Academy 1F
- ¥2500 (including material fee)
- Up to 10 people
- Instructor：Emiko Shimizu
7/21 Thu: All You Can Drink! Japanese Sake Workshop
This month we will be holding a Japanese Sake Workshop to learn the basics of Japanese rice wine, in partnership with Nomel, a sake shop located in Kanda.
The workshop will begin with an introduction by Yamazaki san, the owner of Nomel and a specialist of sake, followed by a tasting session with 5 different types of Japanese sake. After the workshop, you are free to try more than 50 types of sake specially selected by the Nomel shop. Come join us for a great evening!
- Date: Saturday, July 21
- Time: 18:20 – 21:30
- Meeting at Coto Japanese Academy 3F
- Place: Shop: Nomel (http://sakenomel.jp/)
- Fee: ¥4500
- Details: Finger food will be provided (you can also bring your own food)
- Limit: Up to 20 people
- Instructor: Yamazaki (Nomel) /Michael(Coto student)
- Attendant:Mariko Koide and Kana Sumitani (Coto Staff)
7/25 Wed: Calligraphy Class
If you are interested in learning how to draw each and every stroke in the Japanese Kanji character, this event is for you! Every month, Coto Academy will hold a calligraphy class. Learn the basics of calligraphy along with the artistic way of writing kanji, you will be practicing on three characters as shown below. The instructor, Wakana Shingae, is a professional calligrapher. Grab this opportunity to experience the traditions of Japan and participate in our calligraphy class!
KANJI of this month： 星 愛 海
- Date: Wednesday July 25, 2018
- 12:40 – 13:50
- Coto Japanese Academy 1F
- upto 9 people
- Instructor: Wakana Shingae
7/25 Wed: KENDO WORKSHOP
First time in Coto cultural events. Kendo is traditional Japanese fencing which is modernized as athletic sports. At this event, you can learn history of Kendo, proper etiquette, basic of posture and swing. Please attend with comfortable clothes.
- Date: 2018 July 25th (Wed)
- Meeting at Coto Japanese Academy 3F at 17:15
- Place: Yakumo Gym (Meguro Persimon Hall), Toritsu Daigaku Station, Tokyu Toyoko Line.
- Participants: Max 10 students
- Fee: 1,000 yen (incl. rental bamboo sword)
- Attendant: Miki Nakazawa(Coto instructor), Kimie Abo (Coto staff)