Coto Japanese Academy February Events Calendar 2018
This is an older post – to see our upcoming monthly events – click here
Every month we hold cultural and social events for our students and their friends to discover more about Japanese culture, meet new friends and practice Japanese. We are looking forward to seeing you there!
Thursday, February 8: Lunch tour
Kagurazaka is an enchanting neighbourhood located 5 minutes from the Coto Japanese Academy, where you can find many shops, fancy cafés, traditional and modern restaurants. Every month, we organize a lunch tour at one of the many delicious restaurants in this area.
If you want to join us and discover Kagurazaka while enjoying some delicious food, make your reservation now!
- Date: Thursday, February 8
- Time: 12:30 – 13:50
- Meeting Point: Coto Japanese Academy 1st Floor
- Price: ¥1500
- Restaurant: 花かぐら (Hanakagura)
- Limit: Up to 16 people
Sunday, February 11 : Sumo tournament
※Coto students will be given priority for these tickets.
Have you seen a sumo tournament before?
Coto Japanese Academy has reserved tickets for a special tournament that takes place only once a year for one day in February! If you have never enjoyed a sumo game before, do not miss this great chance to discover and enjoy watching this Japanese sport.
We have a limited number of tickets for this very popular event and booking will be close when all the tickets are sold. Reserve soon!
- Date: Sunday, February 11, 2018
- Time: 13:00 – 17:30 (open 19:00, start 19:30)
- Place: Meet in front of the entrance of Ryōgoku Kokugikan (5 min from Ryōgoku station)
- Price: 3200yen → 3000yen chair seat B (special price for Coto’s students!, get up to 4 tickets per pax if you purchase tickets at the school)
- Limit: Max 80 people
- Learn about our past sumo tournament event: http://www.grandsumo.jp/
Wednesday, February 14: Cooking Class
Did you know that there are various different ways to make sushi? In this event, we will create an oshi-zushi design that is a real eye-pleaser. Once you’ve learned how to make it, it is easy to make this dish at home too. We can create interesting designs based on your ideas! We look forward to seeing you at this event.
- Date: Wednesday, February 14
- Time: 12:40 – 13:50
- Place: Coto Japanese Academy 1st Floor
- Price: ¥2500
- Limit: Up to 10 people
Wednesday, February 21: Calligraphy class
If you are interested in learning how to draw each and every stroke in the Japanese Kanji character, this event is for you! Every month, Coto Japanese Academy will hold a calligraphy class. Learn the basics of calligraphy along with the artistic way of writing kanji, you will be practicing on three characters as shown below. The instructor, Wakana Shingae, is a professional calligrapher. Grab this opportunity to experience the traditions of Japan and participate in our calligraphy class!
February’s kanji: 愛 心 福
- Day: Wednesday, February 21
- Time: 12:40 – 13:50
- Place: Coto Japanese Academy 1F
- Fee: 2500 yen
- Number of participants: up to 10 people
- Instructor: Wakana Shingae
Saturday & Sunday, February 17-18 : Skiing and snowboarding tour
On February 17th and 18th, we are going on a skiing and snowboarding trip!
It will be in Myoko Kogen Ikenotaira in Niigata prefecture. Niigata has beautiful snow, a great atmosphere, big mountains and lots of trails!
A few Coto staff and some Japanese will come along, it will be a good opportunity to learn natural and useful Japanese with us!
- Date : Saturday – Sunday February 17th and 18th
*To avoid scheduling problems be sure to sign up ahead of time!
- Place :Ikenotaira onsen ski resort in Niigata prefecture
English : http://www.myoko.tv/english/winter/ikeno.html
- Fee : 37000yen (Jan16-25)
with the rental gear, lift pass, hotel (with dinner and breakfast), travel and ski insurance
and also transportation (Private bus from Iidabashi)
*If you need to rent ski or snowboard clothing the fee will be +1000yen.
*If you don’t need to rent ski or snowboard gear (Skis, Board, boots & bindings) the fee will be −1000yen.
- +Rental fee: jacket & pants 1000yen/2days
+Ski cap 600yen/2days
+*Ski or snowboard lesson fee: 3500yen (half-day lesson for beginner)
- Payment : please make the payment at Coto in cash. You can also pay by credit cards (VISA/MASTER)
Payments made by credit cards include an additional 3.5% service charge.
6:00 – 6:15 Coto Japanese Academy in Iidabashi
Take a Private bus to Niigata!
11:00 Arrive at Hotel Sezon in Ikenotaira
12:00 Let’s go skiing and snowboarding !!
( Lunch at around 2:30pm )
17:00 Go back to the hotel
Dinner, Onsen, Nihongo time, drinking party etc …..
23:00 Go to bed
7:00 Wake up!
9:00 Go skiing and snowboarding!!
* If you would like to take a bath, you can go to “Onsen cafe” http://www.onsencafe.com/
16:00 Take the bus back to Tokyo!
20:30 Arrive at Coto Japanese Academy
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us anytime!