Coto events in October 2016
This is an older post – to see our upcoming monthly events – click here
We are planning the following events in October. Please send your request for participation to email@example.com!
Lunch Tour in Kagurazaka
Thursday, October 6th 12:30-13:50
Each month, there are lunch tours to places just a short walk away from Coto. In October, we will visit the old restaurant Torijaya, famous for its “udonsuki.” This tour’s feature will be hot pot with udon as the centerpiece. The pot will be brimming with chicken, vegetables, and shrimp. Everyone can share this dish – the sharing of hot pot itself is an element of Japanese culture. Let’s experience it together!
Thursday, October 6th
- Time: 12:30~13:50
- Meeting: At 12:30 at Coto Japanese Academy 1F
- Place: Restaurant “Torijaya” in Kagurazaka 8 min walk from Coto Japanese Academy
- Number of people: 20 with two Coto staff members
- Fee: 1500 yen
Japanese Cooking Class
Wednesday, October 12th 12:40-13:55
Did you know that there are a variety of ways to make sushi? In this event, we will create an oshi-zushi design that is a real eye-pleaser. Once you’ve learned how to make it, it’s easy to make this dish at home too. We can create interesting designs based on your ideas! We look forward to seeing you at this event.
Wednesday, October 12th
- Time: 12:40 13:55
- Place: Coto Japanese Academy 1F
- Fee: 2500yen
- Participants: 9
- Instructor: Emiko Shimizu
Organic Vegetable Harvesting Experience and BBQ!
Sunday 16th October, from 8:45-17:30 in Sanmu City, Chiba Prefecture
Would you like to try harvesting organic vegetables? Saito Farm, in Sanmu, Chiba Prefecture, grows specialty organic vegetables using compost that contains absolutely no chemical fertilizers. We will harvest vegetables (peanuts and sweet potatoes) while talking in person with Kanichi Saito, the owner of the farm. After the harvest, we’ll have a barbecue together with the Saito household. We’ll get there by chartered bus, so transport will be easy. We hope to see you there!
Sunday, October 16th
- Time: 8:45 -17:30
- Meeting: At 8:45am at Coto Japanese Academy 1F
- Place:Saito-nouen, 689 Yokota, Sanmu city, Chiba prefecture 90min from Tokyo
- Fee: 7500yen ( for adult) ,5500yen (age 6-12) , 3500yen ( age 3-5)
- Participants: 25 people maximum
Wednesday, October 19th 12:40-13:55
If you are interested in learning how to draw each and every stroke in the Japanese Kanji character, this event is for you! Every month, Coto Japanese Academy will hold a calligraphy class. Learn the basics of calligraphy along with the artistic way of writing kanji, you will be practicing on three characters as shown below. The instructor, Wakana Shingae, is a professional calligrapher. Grab this opportunity to experience the traditions of Japan and participate in our calligraphy class! Booking available at the reception (3F).
This month’s kanji: 芸 秋 美
- Day: Wednesday, October 19th
- Time: 12:40 – 13:55
- Place: CotoJapanese Academy 1F
- Fee: 2500 yen
- Number of participants: up to 1o people
- Instructor: Wakana Shingae
Sunday, October 23rd 13:30-16:00 in Higashinakano
Have you ever wondered what life is like in a Japanese temple? Have you tried Zazen meditation?
Ijima Mika (one of Coto’s teachers), who is from the family of the temple master at temple “Souseij 宗清寺i”, kindly offered to open her home to Coto Japanese Academy students! Not only will they give us the chance to experience zen meditation, but they will also show us around the inside of the temple. Don’t miss this great opportunity to meet her father, the chief priest of Souseiji Temple, and to ask him everything you have ever wanted to know about the temple, Japanese zen, Buddhism,etc. Let’s enjoy this incredible experience together!
Sunday, October 23rd
- Meeting at 13:30 at Higashinakano station, west exit
- Place: Souseiji temple (宗清寺）in Higashi Nakano 10min walk from Higashinakano station (JR or Toei Oedo)
- Fee: 1500yen (with tea and sweet), transportation fee is not included.
- Participants: 25 people maximum