List of Japanese Language Certificates Accepted by Immigration

The rules for Japanese student visas are changing.
Before we continue we would like to share the following
We do NOT provide student visa support at our school. But we would like to cover this issue as it affects many of the spouses and partners of our students.
  • If you need a student visa – we cannot help you apply for one.
  • We cannot support your visa and this information is for education purposes only.
  • If you have questions related to visas; please contact the Japanese Immigration Bureau.

This information is subject to change.

NEW Japanese Skill Rule for Student Visas and List of Accepted Certificates

Due to the Covid-19 situation, there are new visa requirements in Japan.
There is one new required document that people are unaware of / unsure about.
For most applicants applying to become a full-time student in Japan at a university:
You will need to have taken 150 hours of language study or equivalent.
Here is a list of accepted certificates that Japanese immigration will consider sufficient:

1. Japanese Language Proficiency Test / JLPT / 日本語能力試験

2. Business Japanese Test / BJT / ビジネス日本語能力テスト
3. JETRO Listening and Reading Comprehension Test / JLRT聴読解テスト
4. J.TEST実用日本語検定
5. 日本語NAT-TEST
6. Standard Test for Business Japanese / STBJ標準ビジネス日本語テスト
7. TOPJ実用日本語運用能力試験
8. Certificate of Japanese as a Foreign Language / J-CERT生活・職能日本語検定
9. Japanese Language Capability Test / JLCT外国人日本語能力検定
10. Practical Japanese Communication Bridge / PCJB / 実践日本語コミュニケーション検定ブリッジ
11. Japanese Proficiency Test / JPT日本語能力試験

Test your Japanese level!

Do a self-test to see which course fits you.

Check your level