How to Get a Working Holiday Visa in Japan with Coto Academy | ERFS 2022

Coto Japanese Academy is excited to announce that we are sponsoring working holiday visas for prospective students who want to enroll in our Japanese intensive courses — and live in Japan. Through this, they are able to apply the ERFS for a short-term stay.

Kindly note that you need to register for one of our intensive courses to have Coto Academy to be your receiving organization for the ERFS.


We can issue ERFS for two types of visas:

  • Working holiday visa
  • Short-term business visa

In order for us to issue an ERFS you will need to study with us for 4 weeks as an intensive course student.  You will need to complete payment for the 4 weeks of our intensive course before we issue the ERFS and it is non-refundable. We do not issue ERFS for tourism purposes as we are not a tour agency. 

Keep in mind that Coto Academy cannot issue the ERFS if your plan is to come to Japan on a temporary visitor visa for the purposes of tourism. We also cannot be an investor or guarantor on your application. Listing a guarantor and inviter is your individual responsibility. 

For a more generic guide on ERFS (for tourism purposes), check out: What is ERFS? 2022 Guide to Short-term Visa for Foreigners in Japan

What is ERFS?

After imposing heavy cross-border travel restrictions, the Japanese government has finally eased measures from March 1 for foreigners who want to enter Japan. Based on this new immigration procedure, they are allowed to enter the country under “special circumstances.” These individuals must be sponsored by a Japan-based organization in order to be eligible for the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS).

ERFS is a system used for online applications for new foreigners. This is a necessary procedure for foreign nationals who may want to enter Japan for the first time for a short-term stay (less than three months). To be eligible, applicants must have a receiving organization located in Japan.

ERFS Application for Foreign Nationals: What It Means

The ERFS’s application has two parts. The first is the application aimed at the guarantor. Your guarantor could be a company, a school or other related unions that have a legitimate 13-digit number designated by the National Tax Agency. In other words, in order to apply for the ERFS and enter Japan, you will need your sponsor’s corporate number. Your sponsor may be a university, vocational school or any affiliated institution.

After that, you will need to enter the name, email, and phone number of the person in charge of acceptance — the “acceptor”. When you complete the application for “the person in charge of (your) acceptance”, you can individually register the entry information.

Visa Application for Working Holiday Visa with ERFS

Application for visa should be made by the applicants, but note that some countries require visa applications to be submitted through accredited travel agencies.

There are two documents you need for visa application under the ERFS method:

  1. Certificate for completion of registration to the ERFS that your organization has applied online
  2. Other required documents for visa application.

For more information, kindly visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Japan. Head to the ERFS entry page for the full reference.

coot academy japan holiday working visa erfs 2022

How Coto Academy Can Support Working Holiday Visa for Your Stay in Japan

Coto Academy offers fun Japanese lessons that put strong focus in conversation and practical skill. Our courses range for beginners, intermediate to advanced level. If you are located outside of Japan, we can be in charge of your entry acceptance and assign you our company number that you will need to input in the application.

As long as you have completed the registration for our intensive course, Coto Academy will be your guarantor and the organization in charge of your entry to Japan through the ERFS procedure.

ERFS Details of Note

ERFS can be issued only for students who are studying with at least 1 month of intensive courses. You must complete payment for this before we issue the certificate.

It takes 1 working business day to issue the certificate after payment has been completed.

There is NO Expiration for the ERFS

This means that you can enjoy studying with us in 3 or 4 months – but should apply for the working holiday visa now.

About Our Japanese Intensive Course

Our intensive courses focus on practical spoken Japanese for daily life that will help you to live comfortably in Japan. It’s held five days a week, for four weeks.

Course schedules are flexible. You can choose between morning and afternoon classes. We also limit one class to 8 students. This way, our teachers can thoroughly evaluate your skill and properly encourage active learning.

We offer beginner, intermediate and advanced courses. Head here to find more about our Japanese course prices and packages.

Ready to Start Your Life in Japan? Get in Touch With Us

If you have any questions about this particular issue, contact us at [email protected]. Our staff will get back to you shortly.

How long does it take to get an ERFS?

It typically takes 1 working business day for your certificate to be issued.

Does the ERFS Expire?

No, there is no expiration for ERFS.

Do I need to complete payment before Coto will issue the ERFS?

Yes, once payment is completed, Coto will issue your certificate.

Are there refunds?

No, there are no refunds.

How can I get an ERFS?

Coto will provide an ERFS to any student who enrolls and pays for 1 month of intensive courses upfront. Once payment is completed we will issue the ERFS.

You can also fill out the form below. You can choose “Intensive Course” and inquire about the further procedures involved with the visa application, ERFS, terms and conditions.

Would you like to study Japanese in Japan?

Realize your dream of moving to Japan and becoming fluent in Japanese.

Move to Japan